Easy Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans (I just made mine in 9×13 baking pan and increased bake time to 42 minutes)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 3 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Stir in the boiling water by hand (make sure you mix it in well… the batter will look runny, but have faith… it’ll turn out!)
- Pour evenly into the greased pan(s).
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (For the 9×13 cake pan I baked it for about 42 minutes… do the toothpick test, it should come out fairly clean).
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely. (I just leave mine in the pan)
- Delicious by itself, either slightly warm or even chilled! Try it with cool whip, or chilled pie cherries and cool whip!
Homemade Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the cocoa and confectioners’ sugar alternately with the milk and vanilla (I preferred a little less cocoa).
- Beat to a spreading consistency.